Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

For some reason chicken noodle soup has always intimidated me to make.  Maybe because it screams, "I will heal you if you are sick".  Or maybe because I thought I had to make my own noodles, kill my own chicken, and sell my soul for it to taste perfect.  Who knows?!  I finally got over my fear once I saw this gem of a recipe and Waah Bam....it was awesome.  Hence, I am now awesome.

It is creamy, easy, loaded with veggies, and you don't have to defrost your chicken!.  So try it out....and become awesome.






Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients

2 cups egg noodles (I just eye this one...I like mine a little more noodley)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (I use 6-8 tenders, they cook faster)
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 1/3 cups chopped carrots (3-4 carrots)
1 1/3 cups chopped celery (3-4 stalks)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
3 Tbsp parsley
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup heavy cream (or 1/2 cup if you want it really creamy or if you just use normal whipping cream)

Directions
Cook noodles, drain, and set aside
While noodles are cooking, in a large pot, heat 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil over med heat.  Add onion, carrot, celery and saute until tender.  Then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.  Add chicken broth, parsley, bay leaves, and season with salt and pepper.  Add chicken and bring soup to boil over med-high heat.  Reduce to med heat, cover with lid and allow soup to cook until chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.  Remove chicken and shred.

Melt butter in medium saucepan over med heat.  Add flour and cook, stirring constantly about 1 1/2 minutes.  Slowly add milk and whisk until all lumps are gone.  Whisk in cream and bring mixture to a boil while still stirring constantly.    

Pour noodles, milk mixture, and chicken into soup and stir.

Enjoy!



Recipe Adaptation from: Cooking Classy

No comments:

Post a Comment