RUSTIC LENTIL SOUP RECIPE
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 H, 45 M
· , peeled and finely chopped
· , chopped
· , chopped
· , peeled and coarsely chopped
· 1 can diced tomatoes
· 1 dried
· , rinsed and drained
· 4-5 , diced
· 1. In a large stockpot, add bacon and cook until the bacon is crisp, about 7 minutes. Remove bacon and crumble, set aside. Add the garlic and cook until the garlic has softened, about 2 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, and onions and cook until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
· 2. Add 6-7 cups chicken stock to the pot and then stir in the tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, thyme, oregano, and black pepper. Add the lentils and potatoes and increase the heat to medium-high, and bring the soup to a boil. Partially cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook the soup for about 45 minutes. Add more chicken stock if the soup becomes too thick.
· 3. Meanwhile, in a small nonstick sauté pan over medium heat, cook the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, for 4 to 5 minutes or until it is nicely browned.
· 6. Add the sausage and bacon to the soup. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Taste the soup and add salt if necessary. Remove the bay leaves and serve.
R recipe adapted from http://leitesculinaria.com/1350/recipes-rustic-lentil-soup.html